Study in Canada comprehensive guide

Canada is the 15th largest country in the world and one of the world’s wealthiest nations. It is a member of OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development) which essentially to be understood as stimulating economic progress and world trade.

study in austrlia

Study in Canada : Education System

Education in Canada is both publicly and privately funded thus leaving the parents to choose the institution of their choice for their children. It is controlled by the Provincial governments like we have state board for every state with a bit of Federal say in it. The Canadian academic year typically runs from September through to June every year. The country is justifiably proud of its universities and colleges. Students from all over the world come to Canada for their tertiary education, and Canadian degrees are recognized everywhere.

The institutions are categorize into the following
1) Universities
2) University Colleges
3) Community College
4) Career Colleges.
Universities and Community Colleges are very famous among the Indian student community. Universities typically offer: Eng – Master of Engineering – Degrees that require coursework and a project, with the coursework being the major component. MASc – Master of Applied Science – Degrees that require coursework and a thesis, with thesis being the major component. Typically takes 2 years to complete and students can apply for scholarships for these degrees. Community Colleges typically offer: Post Secondary Diplomas – 2 years in duration Advance Diplomas – 3 years in duration Graduate Certificates/Post Graduate Diplomas – 1 or 2 years in duration Every year, Canada invites around 250,000 – 300,000 international students to study in Canada and upon graduation students are eligible to apply for Post Graduation Work Permit for up to 3 years. While on PGWP, certain conditions being met they can also apply for Permanent Residency as well.

Procedure : Admission to Visa

The admissions months for Australian Universities are February (tier1), July (tier2) and October/November (tier3). Bachelors degree which typically involve a minimum of three years full-time study and require Class 12 (or) + 2 Qualification with an IELTS of 6 bands with no band less than 5.5 bands Masters degrees typically involve a minimum of 1 to 2 years full time study and require graduation with an IELTS of 6.5 bands with no band less than 6 and some cases even lesser. PTE and TOEFL are also accepted by the Universities in Australia. Part-time work: Students are allowed to work 40 hours per fortnight when the sessions are on and full time during academic breaks and vacations. As per 1st July 2015, the national minimum wage in Australia is $17.29 per hour. Post Study Work Visa: This allows successful graduates to stay back and look for a full time job and be eligible to apply for Permanent Migration under the General Skilled Independent Migration programme. This visa however does require an IELTS of 6 bands overall. Bachelors – 2 years Masters (course work) – 2 years Masters (research) – 3 years PhD – 4 years

SDS and NON SDS (Study Direct Stream

The Student Direct Stream (SDS) is an expedited study permit processing program for those who are applying to study in Canada at a post-secondary designated learning institution (DLI). Conditions to be eligible to apply for a study permit under the SDS route are:
1) IELTS (academic) of overall 6 with no band less than 6
2) Upfront one tuition fee payment to the DLI (Designated Learning Institution)
3) One year living expenses to be transferred and GIC (Guaranteed Investment Certificate) to be obtained
4) Visa outcome in 15-to-20-day time and the visa approval rate is very high

Non-SDS If you do not meet any of the above 3 conditions, you have to apply for a visa under the non-SDS route and usually under this route the visa processing takes a longer time than the SDS and visa approval rate is relatively low too

Post study work : Canada

Students are left with 90 days of visa after course completion in Canada. Students have to apply for Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) in Canada before 3 months / 90 days of graduating from the college. You just need to submit the course completion/graduating certificate and application fee. 2.5/4GPA is must for PGWP. 1 yr programs lead to 1 yr PGWP and 2 yrs programs lead to 3 yrs PGWP. Students in PGWP are exempted from LIMA (Labour Impact Market Assessment) to work full time in Canada.

why study in uk
Not sure where to start?

Want to know more about Study in Canada?

Contact Us today